[postgis-users] Re: PostGIS 2.0 Wishlist (Paul Ramsey)

Galen galen at shackprices.com
Tue Apr 24 22:45:01 PDT 2007

Paul, I read through the PG 2.0 wishlist and it looks sweet! At the very
bottom you casually mention documenting a bunch of undocumented features
- are they in current releases or waiting for the 2.0 release? If
they're in the current release, is there even a simple function name
list somewhere?

I'm not very familiar with writing PostGres functions, but is it
possible to cover a lot of the uncertainty of the Geodetic Magic section
by allowing users to optionally input the SRID they want to do the magic
with or using -1 as a "magic" default? So something like
distance(<the_geom>, <the_geom>) or distance(<the_geom>, <the_geom>,
<srid>) would work. I like the concept of a dynamically chosen UTM zone
for buffer (and we would use it), by the way.

Sincerely,
Galen Ward  |  ShackPrices.com <http://www.shackprices.com/>  |  Founder