[postgis-users] Performance compared to large shapefiles?

Pedro Doria Meunier pdoria at netmadeira.com
Wed Apr 25 08:02:02 PDT 2007

Hey Jeff,

The short answer is YES! You can!

Speeding up is a matter of creating the relevant indices.
You can have as much data as 3TB per table so you don't have to split your
data.

This, however, requires clever planning... ;-)

One thing you can count for certain is that given the proper indices being
used and good SQL code is that pgsql/postgis is **fast** retrieving the
results...
I use this combination for our Fleet Management Solution for over a year now
and it's proven to be a rock-solid, stable and **fast** approach.

To give you some comparative data:

For a layer containing 500K+ features (roads) results are given usually
under 50ms. And we're talking about queries with reprojection on-the-fly
plus distance calculations... ;-)

HTH,
Pedro.