[postgis-users] Performance compared to large shapefiles?

Frank Koormann frank.koormann at intevation.de
Wed Apr 25 08:50:27 PDT 2007

Jeff,

* Jeff Dege <jdege at korterra.com> [070425 16:47]:
> Someone pointed me to PostGIS as being a tool worth considering.
>
> We've done our mapping so far with various extensions built on top of
> UMN MapServer (ka-map and openlayers).  The GIS data we've been storing
> in shapfiles.
>
> We're finding it very difficult to manage acceptable performance when
> working with large shapefiles, where large means >500MB, >3 million
> features.  We've been splitting these both by feature type (pulling the
> features we display at wider zooms into separate files) and by geography
> (tiling).  It's tedious, time-consuming, and performance still isn't
> what we'd wish.

PostGIS is a great tool, just for completeness: Have you tested indexes
on the shape files?
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/reference/utilityreference/shptree

Regards,

        Frank

--
Frank Koormann  |  ++49-541-335 08 30  |  http://www.intevation.de/
Intevation GmbH, Osnabrück, DE   |   Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HR B 18998