[postgis-users] RE: Distance function Trouble (Obe, Regina)

I B Adams aca04iba at sheffield.ac.uk
Wed Apr 25 14:13:39 PDT 2007

Okay, I have finally found some documentation on my data and it turns out that
they are encoded using the wrong SRID,

The details given are

Projection: Geographic (not projected)
Datum WGS84 (labeled GCS_WGS_1984 in ESRI products)
Paramaters:
•  GEOGCS["GCS_WGS_1984",
•  DATUM["D_WGS_1984",
•  SPHEROID["WGS_1984",6378137,298.257223563]],
•  PRIMEM["Greenwich",0],
•  UNIT["Degree",0.017453292519943295]]

I looked through the spatial_ref table and decided that the correct SRID would
prob be 32601. So I used shp2pgsql to encode everything again. Added them all
to the database etc. Now I do the distance again and get the exact same
results.

Have I still got the wrong SRID? What does (not projected) mean???