[postgis-users] ANN: PostGIS Hibernate Criteria API

Norman Barker nbarker at ittvis.com
Mon Apr 30 05:45:22 PDT 2007

Hi,

(I don't have commit access, so this is the only way to add code for me
(hint!)). Please add this to subversion.

I have started working on the hibernate criteria api using the postgis
hibernate dialect, and hibernate geometry user type already in
subversion.  I have attached the withinexpression class (simple, but a
lot of work to get working!)  Porting the other functions from the
dialect is fairly trivial.

The criteria api is described below, and is a very powerful way to do
multi-criteria (such as advanced search) searches without using SQL -
just object based queries.  This is very useful for building web based
search engines (I am adding this to the open source ebrim spatial
catalog - omar).

'While HQL works with the object-oriented approach, the developer still
needs to know SQL. The only difference is the replacement of the
relational methodology with the object-oriented one. In essence, a
developer still has to drop into an SQL-like syntax for CRUD operations.

To overcome this obstacle and provide an extensible as well as
completely object-oriented solution, Hibernate exposes a set of APIs
that map the SQL functionality to objects, eliminating the need for an
SQL-like syntax. These APIs constitute the Hibernate Criteria Query
APIs.'

Let me know what you think, and when (if) I have commit access then I
will stop spamming :-)

Thanks,

Norman