[postgis-users] Confusion about projections and Spatial Data

Milo van der Linden mlinden at zeelandnet.nl
Fri Aug 10 11:49:23 PDT 2007

Rick Zoolker schreef:
> OK, I feel like I've got a fundamental block about how spatial data is
> actually used in the real world and how spatially aware databases
> actually make use of that data.  This is probably quite obvious for
> everyone so please bear with me.
>
> I've been playing with a bunch of spatial databases (Oracle, Postgis,
> DB2) and from what I can tell, all tend to roughly follow the OGC SFA
> spec (Oracle using different terminology).  Now it also seems that the
> SFA spec deals EXCLUSIVELY with Cartesian coordinates.
Is that so? I haven't noticed using lat/lon being an issue. All my
projects in postGIS are in lat/lon and that tends to work fine. I have
also been using MI Spatialware and Oracle Spatial and as far as I
recall, lat/lon is no issue although in these environments we where
still using the dutch cartesian system.
> Now here's my
> first confusion.  If they only deal with Cartesian coordinates, why do
> they allow you to specify SRIDs that are lat/long based.  Will any of
> the SFA functions work with lat/long (other than ST_Transform(), which
> is actually a SQL/MM and not even included in SFA)??

They will. I am using the BBOX functions, but no advanced functions yet,
but I am confident.
> My next area of confusion is that I've looked at a bunch of data from
> people such as Navteq, teleatlas, and a bunch of individual companies
> databases, and it seems that every single one ships and stores their
> data in lat/long.  So what the heck?  If the tools can't deal with
> lat/long, why does everyone ship and store their data in lat/long?
> Does everyone project this data before actually loading it into the
> db?  Help!?

No, I don't. I just load it in lat/lon. As a matter of fact, I think we
would better support lat/lon projections by trying it before converting,
fishing out problem area's and bugs and then enhancing the software. So
please, try in lat/lon and if it doesn't work, see if the community can
help you. I do understand that spherical vs cartesian distances will be
challenging, but perhaps the gdal/ogr and proj projects will be able to
support there.
> Now, it appears that Oracle in particular can do some functions with
> lat/long directly (the distance calculation comes to mind), and I know
> Postgis has some specialized distance functions for geodetic
> coordinates, but I'm not sure if that extends to the whole function
> set (i.e. can I do an Intersection of two polygons specified in
> lat/long coordinates??).  Why doesn't the OGC SFA spec and libraries
> support all the functions with geodetic coordinates directly rather
> than require projected coordinates?

Hit me, I don't know.
> Finally, how do the analysis and visualization tools that people put
> on top of these databases deal with these questions? (e.g. MapInfo,
> ArcView, etc.)  They seem to want lat/long data as well, but if you
> stored project coordinates in the database isn't there a problem??

MapInfo works fine, quantumGIS works fine, cartoweb works fine.
Mapserver works fine.
> HELP!
>
>   -Rick

Milo van der Linden
skype: milovanderlinden <skype:milovanderlinden?add>
mlinden at zeelandnet.nl <mailto:mlinden at zeelandnet.nl>
milovanderlinden at gmail.com <mailto:milovanderlinden at gmail.com>
milo at 3dsite.nl <mailto:milo at 3dsite.nl>
http://www.3dsite.nl

De informatie in dit bericht reflecteert mijn persoonlijke mening en
niet die van een bedrijf of instantie. Aan de informatie kunnen geen
rechten worden ontleend. Indien dit bericht onderdeel is van een forum,
mailing-list of community dan gelden automatisch de bij het betreffende
medium behorende voorwaarden. The information in this message reflects
my personal opinion and not that of a company or public body. All rights
reserved.If this message is contained in a mailing-list or community,
the rights on the medium are automatically adapted.