[postgis-users] Confusion about projections and Spatial Data

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Fri Aug 10 13:11:09 PDT 2007

Very good questions.  I may be wrong on some of my assumptions, but this is my understanding

1) Everyone ships in lat long format because it covers the widest area of space and can be easily transformed into other SRIDs or out of all SRIDs. Its not even entirely true that everyone does.  Most state municipalities for example often ship their data in a coordinate system specific to thier area or state.

2) As far as I know most functions will work with lat long except distance gives you funky results because it is measuring around circles for lat long.

3) Why do databases have this whole cartesian thingy and not work straight with lat long?  Because screens are flat, printed maps are flat and when you look at isolated areas you can make them look flat and not skew measurements and layout.   So I guess its a hack to make your problem simpler.  If you look at the upcoming SQL Server Katmai which is supposed to have Geography - it will challenge that and try to deal with geodetic data as a "first class" reference system.

4) Not everyone stores their data projected, but often will transform on the fly if they do not project.  I do when I know I am only dealing with a very isolated region like a single state or city municipality.

5) Its not true that tools like ArcView and MapInfo want lat long.  Actually MapInfo is pretty sophisticated I think when it comes to projections so its almost transparent to the user.  I'm not quite sure how it does it, but encoded in each tab file is the projection info and you can lay on a bunch of layers in different projections and it will magically pick the most suitable one and reproject all the layers to that.  My knowledge of ArcView is less, but I think ArcView tends to be more picky about projections so requires more knowledge on the user's side to know how to deal with multiple layers in different projections.

Hope that helps,
Regina