[postgis-users] what function to "dissolve" data?

Andreas Laggner andreas.laggner at fal.de
Wed Aug 15 09:30:24 PDT 2007

Hi,

i want to simplify my data by dissolving lines (borders) between
Polygons (the polygons share one line or at least one point) with the
same attributes to get a smaller dataset and i did not find a function
for that operation (so far). For example i have one million polygons
with the same landuse but a different polygon_number or what else and i
only want to distinguish between landuse in my data. Thus i can reduce
my dataset to same hundred polygons (or perhaps even one big polygon if
all polygons touches).

thanks for help                  Andreas

--
Dipl. Geoökologe Andreas Laggner
Institut für Ländliche Räume (LR)

Institute of Rural Studies
Federal Agricultural Research Centre (FAL)

Bundesallee 50
D-38116 Braunschweig

Tel.: (+49) (0)531 596 5515
Fax: (+49) (0)531 596 5599