[postgis-users] what function to "dissolve" data?

Burgholzer,Robert rwburgholzer at deq.virginia.gov
Wed Aug 15 09:43:11 PDT 2007

Andreas,
I have used the following query with varying degrees of success (that is, sometimes the memory requirements seem to be too much, and it takes forever to complete).  The resulting shape occasionally renders strangely in Qgis.

SELECT landuse_name, memgeomunion(the_geom)
GROUP BY landuse_name

Regular geomunion (instead of memGeomUnion) can also work, but seems to choke on larger collections.

r.b.

Robert W. Burgholzer
Surface Water Modeler
Office of Water Supply and Planning