[postgis-users] import of Raster data

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 13:28:17 PDT 2007

On Thursday 16 August 2007 04:09, Andreas Laggner wrote:
> Moin Stefan  ;-)
>
> i want to use the spatial data from the raster together with vector data
> in postgis. For example: soils from buk1000 and preception from DWD 1km
> raster or altitude/slope from DEM25m raster to analyse potentials of
> farmland.
> I need the values from the cells in a spatial correct topology.
> In the year 2007 the archive did not have any solutions for raster data
> import.......
>
> hasta luego      Andreas
>
> Stephan Holl schrieb:
> > Hello Andreas,

Andreas,

there are more suitable means to this end. Store your raster data in some
GDAL-compatible format (compressed, tiled, geotiff works well), and you
vector data in postgis. What you are trying to do is a simple operation for
any program which can read GDAL/OGR datasources. One example is Starspan --
this can compute raster summaries for vector point/line/polygon features.

I commonly use this approach to combine vector data stored in PostGIS and
raster data stored in GRASS.

Cheers,

Dylan

--