[postgis-users] Calculating bbox/extent for set of polygons: ERROR I don't understand

matt.pettis at thomson.com matt.pettis at thomson.com
Mon Aug 20 14:29:21 PDT 2007

Thanks Josh,

This did the trick.

Matt

It is from the wellspring of our despair and the places that we are
broken that we come to repair the world.
-- Murray Waas
I don't know the intricacies of that error, but you have a couple easy
options.  For just the one county, like in your query - ditch the
distinct, eg:
SELECT extent(the_geom) FROM shp_precincts WHERE county_id=72;

For all counties, try pulling the geom data out in different style, eg:
SELECT distinct(county_id), astext(extent(the_geom)) as the_extent FROM
shp_precincts GROUP BY county_id

 -Josh