[postgis-users] Fire station

Chetan Tiwari chetan.tiwari at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 21:48:36 PDT 2007

I know that ArcGIS 8 (the workstation mode) has implementations of the
Global/Regional Interchange Algorithm (GRIA) and Teitz and Bart. I am not
sure about the newer versions of ArcGIS. There is some information in the
help documentation, but it is sketchy at best! You can learn more about
these algorithms from the following papers:

Church, R. L. and C. ReVelle (1974). "The maximal covering location
problem." *Papers of the Regional Science Association* *32*: 101-118.

Church, R. L. and P. Sorenson (1994). Integrating Normative Location Models
into GIS: Problems and Prospects with p-median Model. Santa Barbara, CA,
National Center for Geographic Information and Analysis.

Densham, P. and G. Rushton (1992). "A more efficient heuristic for solving
large p-median problems." *Papers of the Regional Science Association* *71*:
307-329.

ReVelle, C., J. Schweitzer, et al. (1996). "The maximal conditional covering
problem." *Infor* *34*(2): 77-91.

Teitz, M. B. and P. Bart (1968). "Heuristic Methods for Estimating the
Generalized Vertex Median of a Weighted Graph." *Journal of the Operational
Research Society of America* *16*(5): 955-961.

- Chetan