[postgis-users] Fire station

RAVI KUMAR ravivundavalli at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 27 04:48:14 PDT 2007

Hi,
the latest arc-GIS has this, agreed. But how to build a query in PostGIS for
similar results.We want to use this in an urban GIS we are making for an India city.
Cheers
Ravi Kumar

P Kishor <punkish at eidesis.org> wrote: On 8/25/07, RAVI KUMAR  wrote:
> Hi,
> planning to locate fire stations in an urban area.
> 1. Each fire station will have to cover 10 km from its location.
> 2. Other fire stations to be placed to reduce duplication and the entire
> town is
>     within -10km- for an emergency call.
>
> Please suggest 'postgis query', on a line network of roads for the town.

I am not sure a "postgis query" will cut it here. Google for
"location-allocation," especially for papers by Densham and Rushton.
Almost 15 years ago I helped with something like this using PC
Arc/Info (yes, indeed). It was Densham's work, which, I believe,
eventually became a part of Arc/Info.

Nelson Inst. for Env. Studies http://www.nelson.wisc.edu/
Open Source Geospatial Foundation http://www.osgeo.org/
2007 Summer S&T Policy Fellow, The National Academies http://www.nas.edu/