[postgis-users] Union of 7 datasets

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Tue Aug 28 05:13:40 PDT 2007

 Sounds like you would have to go with a full join type thing with workaround I described below (last example).  So If I understand you correctly then something like this -

--the first select gives you those records in both tables your 25 udokai
 SELECT udo.field1, udo.field2, kai.field3, kai.field4, geomunion(udo.the_geom, kai.the_geom) AS newgeom
 FROM udo INNER JOIN kai ON (udo.the_geom && kai.the_geom AND intersects(udo.the_geom, kai.the_geom))
 UNION
-- the second select gives you udos that have no kais - your 15
 SELECT udo.field1, udo.field2, NULL As field3, NULL As field4, udo.the_geom AS newgeom
 FROM udo LEFT JOIN kai ON (udo.the_geom && kai.the_geom AND intersects(udo.the_geom, kai.the_geom))
 WHERE kai.the_geom IS NULL
 UNION
-- and the 3rd gives you kais that have no udos. - your 40
 SELECT nul As field1, null As field2, kai.field3, kai.field4, kai.the_geom AS newgeom
 FROM kai LEFT JOIN udo ON (udo.the_geom && kai.the_geom AND intersects(udo.the_geom, kai.the_geom))
 WHERE udo.the_geom IS NULL

Unioned together you should get
25 + 15 + 40 = ? 80

Hope that helps,