[postgis-users] shp2pgsql and psql: Null values represented by \N

Matthew Pettis matthew.pettis at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 14:25:57 PST 2007

Hi,

I am on WindowsXP.

I am using shp2pgsql to create SQL to load a table to posgresql/postgis.
some columns have null values, and are represented by \N in the output from
this command.  However, when executing the sql output by shp2pgsql, psql
chokes on it, with the following error message (one of many identical except
for the number):

psql:shp_roads2_raw.sql:28656: invalid command \N

any idea why this is, and how I can fix it?

Thanks,
matt

--
It is from the wellspring of our despair and the places that we are broken
that we come to repair the world.