[postgis-users] Loading data with ogr2ogr

Pål Kristensen pal.kristensen at statkart.no
Thu Dec 13 23:56:30 PST 2007

Frank Warmerdam-2 wrote:

> Pål Kristensen wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I have loaded some data from ArcSDE 9.1 to PostGIS using the ogr2ogr
>> utility. The load statements typically looks like this:
>>
>> ogr2ogr -nlt LINESTRING -nln n50_begrensningskurve -lco
>> GEOMETRY_NAME=the_geom -a_srs EPSG:32633 -f PostgreSQL
>> PG:"dbname=kartdata
>> user=**** host=***.***.***.***"
>> SDE:***.***.***.***,5157,,sde_user,sde_password,n50.begrensningskurve
>>
>> The problem is that the resulting table in PostGIS has a SRID value of 1,
>> but it should be 32633. I have tried to include the s_srs option to
>> override
>> the source projection, which by the way is 32633, but that did not do any
>> difference.
>>
>> I have used the UpdateGeometrySRID function to change the SRID after
>> necessary.
>>
>> Is there something I've missed that causes this behavior? Any ideas?
>
> Pål,
>
> Can you confirm that the spatial_ref_sys table is populated?  Normally
> ogr2ogr attempts to find an exact match for the coordinate system in
> spatial_ref_sys (based on comparing the WKT strings) and if one is not
> found it should try and create a new spatial_ref_sys entry with the SRID
> being one higher than the highest currently used value.
>
> The fact that it selected "1" suggests to me that the table might be
> empty.
>
> Note that OGR does not, and will not, make the assumption that SRIDs
> map 1:1 to EPSG codes.   The trick really is to ensure that the WKT
> matches something exactly in the spatial_ref_sys.  So for the -s_srs
> (or -a_srs) you should use the exact string from the spatial_ref_sys.
> This can be stored in a file.
>
> I'd like to have a layer creation option to select a particular SRID
> by SRID number for the PG driver, but that hasn't been implemented yet.
>
> Should my assumptions about the spatial_ref_sys table be wrong, please
> consider filing a bug against GDAL/OGR promptly.  We have only a few
> days before the 1.5.0 release to fix any serious problems in the
> postgis driver.
>
> Best regards,
> --

Hi Frank!

Thanks a lot for the help, your assumption was totally correct. For some
reason the spatial_ref_sys table was empty, and a new entry with SRID 1 and
the right WKT was created. After population the spatial_ref_sys table the
data loading completed correctly.

Thanks again for the help!

Regards,
Pål Kristensen