[postgis-users] Loading data with ogr2ogr

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Dec 13 07:58:01 PST 2007

Pål Kristensen wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have loaded some data from ArcSDE 9.1 to PostGIS using the ogr2ogr
> utility. The load statements typically looks like this:
>
> ogr2ogr -nlt LINESTRING -nln n50_begrensningskurve -lco
> GEOMETRY_NAME=the_geom -a_srs EPSG:32633 -f PostgreSQL PG:"dbname=kartdata
> user=**** host=***.***.***.***"
> SDE:***.***.***.***,5157,,sde_user,sde_password,n50.begrensningskurve
>
> The problem is that the resulting table in PostGIS has a SRID value of 1,
> but it should be 32633. I have tried to include the s_srs option to override
> the source projection, which by the way is 32633, but that did not do any
> difference.
>
> I have used the UpdateGeometrySRID function to change the SRID after
> necessary.
>
> Is there something I've missed that causes this behavior? Any ideas?

Pål,

Can you confirm that the spatial_ref_sys table is populated?  Normally
ogr2ogr attempts to find an exact match for the coordinate system in
spatial_ref_sys (based on comparing the WKT strings) and if one is not
found it should try and create a new spatial_ref_sys entry with the SRID
being one higher than the highest currently used value.

The fact that it selected "1" suggests to me that the table might be
empty.

Note that OGR does not, and will not, make the assumption that SRIDs
map 1:1 to EPSG codes.   The trick really is to ensure that the WKT
matches something exactly in the spatial_ref_sys.  So for the -s_srs
(or -a_srs) you should use the exact string from the spatial_ref_sys.
This can be stored in a file.

I'd like to have a layer creation option to select a particular SRID
by SRID number for the PG driver, but that hasn't been implemented yet.

Should my assumptions about the spatial_ref_sys table be wrong, please
consider filing a bug against GDAL/OGR promptly.  We have only a few
days before the 1.5.0 release to fix any serious problems in the
postgis driver.

Best regards,