[postgis-users] ST_contains() throws an error

James DeMichele James.DeMichele at redfin.com
Fri Dec 28 11:24:48 PST 2007

Hi,

I have a table with 27000 records and each record has 2 geometry
columns. The first column has an original MULTIPOLYGON (named
original_poly), and the second column has some tweaks (buffer and
simplification) applied to the original data, and is also stored as a
MULTIPOLYGON (named new_poly).

I want to get the list of these rows where the new_poly does NOT contain
the original_poly. The first time I ran it, I got this: "ERROR:  GEOS
contains() threw an error!"

So, then I thought that maybe some of the polygons were not valid. There
were 6 invalid polygons, so then I tried running this query:

select count(*)

from temp_places_buffer

where(st_isvalid(new_poly) = true and st_isvalid(redfin_poly) = true)

and not st_contains(t1.new_poly, t1.redfin_poly);

Unfortunately, I still get this error:

ERROR:  GEOS contains() threw an error!

What are possible reasons that this would still be throwing an error,
other than invalid polygons, since the query should now only be
calculating st_contains on valid polygons?

I am running this version:

            postgis_version

 1.3 USE_GEOS=1 USE_PROJ=1 USE_STATS=1

Thanks.