[postgis-users] Re: USGS NHD data to PostGIS

Randy George rkgeorge at cadmaps.com
Mon Feb 5 16:42:57 PST 2007

Hi,

	I've investigated my NHD data problem a little further. Looking at
the NHDArea table of the mdb it appears that the Shape field's internal
'Shape Type' is listed as 19. Unless there has been a recent change, I don't
think the shp format has a type 19.

I ran a test conversion to svg forcing .shp type 19 to a type 5 (Polygon)
and I get valid polygon <paths>?

Has ESRI added an additional "Shape Type" to the list? Or is there some
issue with NHD geodatabases?

If 19 is unknown to the ogr translator that would explain the empty geometry
columns and sporadic empty geometry fields. It would also explain why there
is no error since those records would simply be created with no geometry.

http://www.esri.com/library/whitepapers/pdfs/shapefile.pdf
Value Shape Type
0 Null Shape
1 Point