[postgis-users] asKML output and Google Earth projection

Guido Lemoine guido.lemoine at jrc.it
Tue Feb 6 02:03:37 PST 2007

Dear All,

I managed to integrate some asKML output (generated from an imported shape
file) with Google Earth and some georeferenced Very High Resolution (SPOT-5
and QuickBird) satellite GroundOverlays. We noticed location shifts between
(GPS-based) ground observations and the geocoded satellite imagery with
respect
to the GE's (QuickBird like high res) background imagery of some 30-40 m.
Our imagery's geometry is geocoded to SPOT-5 georeferenced imagery,
which is tie-pointed to GCPs obtained with high quality GPS (which we
consider
good quality).

I have been checking out GE projection information, and it says it is
"Simple
Cylindrical (Plate Carree)" projection. I would expect this to
correspond to
SRID = EPSG:4326 in postgis, although I would not call that a "Simple
Cylindrical"
projection (rather something like "Simple Ellipsoidal"). Colleagues have
told me
that the actual GE location error depends on location and has been
improved a lot
with newly introduced imagery. A shift of 30-40 m is too much for VHR data,
though.

Any experience "out there" with this problem?

GL

Joint Research Centre, European Commission
Institute for the Protection and Security of the Citizen (IPSC)
Unit: Support to External Security
Via E. Fermi, 1 TP 267 Ispra 21020 (VA), Italy
Tel. +39 0332 786239 (direct line) Fax. +39 0332 785154
WWW: http://ses.jrc.it
Disclaimer:
Views expressed are those of the individual and do not represent the
views of the European Commission