[postgis-users] Postgis and ArcGIS

Uwe Seher uwe.seher at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 9 00:00:34 PST 2007

Am 09.02.2007, 05:14 Uhr, schrieb Tim Bowden <tim.bowden at westnet.com.au>:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for the best way of allowing interaction between PostGIS on
> the back end and ArcGIS on the desktop.  Something like PgArc would be
> good, but obviously very difficult to implement :-(
>
> There is avpgcon which supports ArcView 3.x (only?).  Is anyone able to
> shed any light on other options or report success with either of these
> options?  Can any of the ArcGIS stuff do wfs-t thereby allowing us to
> put geoserver in as an interface?
>
> Thanks,
> Tim Bowden

Hi!

You can try this (http://gforge2.uwc.ac.za/projects/ziggis/), but it seems
that there is not very much going. I think the problem in connecting
PostGIS and ArcGIS is in the ArcObjects workspaces to handle the
Datasource. As a Workaround you can use a tempoprary shapefile like pgArc
or you can setup a WMS. A WFS should also work, althought i didn't test
it. Or you can use something other than ArcGIS. Our way at the moment is
to separate workingareas as a shapefile and update them, when finished.

CU Uwe Seher
ingenieurbüro kauppert

nebeniusstr. 34
d-76137 karlsruhe