[postgis-users] Base map project?

Webb Sprague webb.sprague at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 15:57:41 PST 2007

Is there a project anywhere to provide good, curated, downloadable
geographic base data and metadata for postgis databases?   (I don't
mean a list of links, like the Oregon GIS clearinghouse -- this is
useful, but not as powerful or centralized as I am thinking).

It might be really cool to (1) come up with a standardized approach
and (2) make the data available and discoverable through Postgres'
dblink (possibly using Slony for scalability). It would be great, for
example, to be able to reference a TIGER dataset in this way, and only
manage my own smaller layers in house.

I am kind of volunteering to help with this, but I don't think I can lead it.

There would obviously be problems as the protocol or the data changed,
especially if someone uses a dblink'ed view and suddenly the data
underneath changes.  This would just be something to adress...

Thoughts from anyone?  I guess we would need to write a protocol, keep
it updated, and then deal with the data.

Cheers, and thanks for indulging my rambling.