[postgis-users] Points or boundaries more efficient for querying?

Nick Bower nick at nickbower.com
Wed Feb 14 00:52:44 PST 2007

> If tile boundaries are implicit (i.e. fixed by your choice of tiling grid
> and spacing), there is no need to store and or query tile outlines at
> all.
> Have a look at how WorldWind, Google and Virtual Earth do this. VE
> is actually VERY cool at this (cooler than GE!). They even provide the
> code.

Ok it will be interesting to see if these handles low res grids
accompanied by overlapping high res ones over select ROIs.  It would
seem like you are suggesting them not to use PostGIS at all here.

> I came across some OSgeo specs on this as well
>  (http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Tile_Map_Service_Specification)
> Thinking about implementing this sometime soon.

This seems like a query API - a cartographic OpeNDAP.  I was more
enquiring about the search implementation, not the API used to access
it.

Thanks!  Nick.
--
  Nick Bower