[postgis-users] Need help to load data in PostGIS

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Wed Feb 14 17:08:00 PST 2007

Khalid wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a student and is working on a project which will use MapServer
> and PostGIS. I have data in vector format as ESRI compatible shapefiles.
> My task is to load data into PostGIS as raster and then to perform
> overlay analysis and display map  in web browser through mapserver (on
> windows platform).
>
> I am newbie to PostGIS and is trying to load data into PostGIS. I am
> wondering if anybody can give me idea/guideline about
>
> a) how should I load data into PostGIS

To load shapefile data you need shp2pgsql and pgsql2shp to dump vectors
to a shapefile.

> b) how vector to raster transformation will happen

Not sure what you really want to do here. If you mean to render the
vector data onto into map images. Then you need to read up on Mapserver
and these might help you get started:

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/reference/vector_data/postgis
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/community/conferences/MUM3/workshop/postgis/

> c) how I will perform overlay analysis using raster data.

You probably need to explain specifically what kind of overlay analysis
you are looking to do.

-Steve W