[postgis-users] Postgis installation: missing pg_config?

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Sat Feb 17 06:16:20 PST 2007

  I'm on Ubuntu Edgy Eft, have sucessfully built postgresql 8.1, using
  pgadmin3 (1.4.3).  I'm now trying to install postgis 1.1.7.  when i run
  configure, the last line says:

  checking for pg_config... no
  configure: error: PostgreSQL is required by PostGIS

  i have postgresql installed and running, but i don't find a pg_config
  anywhere in the install directory.

Check that there aren't more PostgreSQL packages.  On NetBSD pkgsrc,
pgsql is split into several:

postgresql81-8.1.6  Robust, next generation, object-relational DBMS
postgresql81-client-8.1.6 PostgreSQL database client programs
postgresql81-server-8.1.6 PostgreSQL database server programs
postgresql81-postgis-1.2.1 Spatial database capabilities for PostgreSQL

pg_config is in -client.   This seems awkard, since it would be needed
on a machine with only server, but client-only seems like a better
choice, and having a -config package seems silly.

Do you have the 'development' package installed?  The server package,
and the server development package?

If the Ubuntu packages don't provide pg_config you should file a bug
report with Ubuntu.