[postgis-users] Re: Postgis installation: missing pg_config?

Reid Priedhorsky reid at umn.edu
Sun Feb 18 10:05:02 PST 2007

Matthew Pettis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm on Ubuntu Edgy Eft, have sucessfully built postgresql 8.1, using
> pgadmin3 (1.4.3).  I'm now trying to install postgis 1.1.7.  when i run
> configure, the last line says:
>
> checking for pg_config... no
> configure: error: PostgreSQL is required by PostGIS
>
> i have postgresql installed and running, but i don't find a pg_config
> anywhere in the install directory.
>
> should i have a pg_config, and have built postgresql wrong?  or, if i don't
> have and don't need it, how do i tell postgis ./configure what it really
> needs to proceed?

Hi Matt,

A couple of thoughts:

1. Head for <http://packages.ubuntu.com/> -- there is a form where you
can search for which package has a particular file you need.

2. Do you really need to build PostgreSQL yourself? Ubuntu has a very
nice 8.1 package already, and I believe even a PostGIS package as well
in Edgy.

Good luck,

Reid