[postgis-users] Difference between Polygon and Multipolygon

P Kishor punkish at eidesis.org
Mon Feb 19 08:17:49 PST 2007

On 2/19/07, Kai Behncke <kbehncke at igf.uni-osnabrueck.de> wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> could anybody please give me a practical example where it`s useful to use
> MULTIPOLYGON instead of POLYGON?
> I wonder where the difference is and I don`t know where it`s useful to use
> MULTIPOLYGON.

if you want to treat the islands of Hawaii as one entity.

more seriously, performance gains. You can take a dataset with
polygons, and coalesce them into a new dataset aggregated by some
common field value. If selecting by that common field value, querying
the new dataset will be much, much faster.

Nelson Inst. for Env. Studies, UW-Madison http://www.nelson.wisc.edu/
Open Source Geospatial Foundation http://www.osgeo.org/education/