[postgis-users] shp2pgsql UTF-8 Encoding Problem

paallen at attglobal.net paallen at attglobal.net
Mon Feb 19 11:36:17 PST 2007

Hi all,

I am using Windows XP SP2 (USA English),
PostgreSQL 8.2 and PostGIS 1.2.0-1

I have a database with UTF-8 encoding and I am
trying to import a multipolygon shape file with
shp2pgsql and it keeps giving me an encoding error
upon loading it into the database.  I know this is
due to the UNICODE and I found some listings about
this from 2005 but my encoding skills are weak.

I have used the shp2pgsql with -w and no better
luck.  I have changed the code page first with
“chcp 1252” and still no luck.  Whenever I use the
“-W UTF-8” it bombs out because “UTF-8” is not a
recognized code.

What are the window's users procedures to import
an plan-jane US ASCII shape file into an UTF-8
database.  I am interested in passing this stage
so I can experiment with the latest ZigGIS release!

Thanks a lot.

Phillip J. Allen
Consulting Geochemist