[postgis-users] Dilemma: is gid really useful in a geoDB?

Antonello antonello.monetsen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 07:51:53 PST 2007

Hi list,

I have a dilemma: is gid really useful in a geoDB?
I am building a geodb for several harbor. When I create a layer(table
with geometry) in postgis, I need a gid like a primary key, or I can use
a different one? Can I  use several field of from the table like a
primary key?

I am not new in the gis, but why in almost all geoDB I saw there is a
gid?! Is it really necessary? Do it come from shapefile standards?

For example QuantumGIS doesn't work if the layer has only one primary
key, there are other application that don't work like qGis?

Thanks a lot, Antonello