[postgis-users] Sudden failure in client connection

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Thu Feb 22 14:26:19 PST 2007

myunghwa Hwang wrote:

> Just after the change,
> there was no problem, since I guess I didn't reload the settings.
> Soon I needed to reboot the OS because of some software and system
> upgrades from Apple. I guess when rebooting the server postgres
> crashed because of the changed setting.

In did not crash, it was unable to start, because you asked it to
allocation more shared buffers than your operating system would allow.
The right fix is to increase the shared buffers in OS/X so your postgres
can run. That way you can reap the performance benefit of properly sized
buffers.

As far as your other problem, almost certainly there is something else
you changed that you forgot to change back, which you just cannot
recall.  Installing a completely fresh replacement has the salutary
effect of wiping out all your edits, both well- and ill- considered.

I couldn't connect to db