[postgis-users] Boundary() without the internal holes?

John Carnes john at maptools.com
Wed Feb 28 15:30:48 PST 2007

I am trying to figure out how to get a polygon that is the boundary
of a geounion of polygons without getting polygons for the internal
holes.

The boundary() function is close, but includes the internal holes.

     SELECT boundary(geomunion(p.the_geom)) FROM parcels AS p WHERE
p.neighborhood=5;

A convex hull, leaves out the internal holes, but the resulting
polygon doesn't touch the actual boundary anywhere that it is concave.

Thanks in advance for your ideas on how to do this.
I'd really like to avoid having to delete the internal hole polygons
by hand, which is my current solution.

John Carnes
MapTools