[postgis-users] Transferring ArcSDE tables to PostGIS using FME

Howard Butler hobu at iastate.edu
Mon Jan 15 20:10:13 PST 2007

/me runs away screaming at the thought of trigger hooking all of the
add/deletes/modified tables of every SDE layer I wish to synchronize...

ogr2ogr is another option.  When compiled against the SDE SDK client
libraries and PostGIS client, you can read SDE and write to PostGIS.

I'm still working on it, and it doesn't do too much yet, but PySDE
might also be another option (patches graciously accepted!) <http://
sde.hobu.biz>.  With the proper wraps, you could check out what's in
your deltas since the last layer state that you updated and only sync
that.

You could also just do this yourself with some crafty c/c++ and the
SDE SDK itself and skip all the wrapping insanity. Or, hire out an
enterprising ArcSDE/OGR/GDAL developer to add state/version magic to
OGR to do it there ;)

So, nothing immediate other than a few brute force approaches, but
there are ways we can make SDE talk.... :)

Howard