[postgis-users] Multipolygon an shape

Nicolas Ribot nicky666 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 01:54:50 PST 2007

> Hello Nicolas,
>
> thank you for the 1st answere, you are wright, I have Polygons AND Multipolygons in the data.

So, you can, I think, correct this by forcing all objects to be multi,
by calling the multi() function on your geometric column
update verdis_beta set the_geom = multi(the_geom);
(if the geometric column is named "the_geom"...

> But the 2nd answere I don't understand. I don't use the && operator. Will this be better for the performance?

When using spatial functions or operators, it is often useful for
better performance to define spatial index on your geometric columns
(see create index syntax).
If such index are defined, you force their usage in a query by using
one of the spatial operators (as defined § 6.2.2 in the current
Postgis doc), like the && (intersects) operators.

It filters out objets that don't have any relationship between them.

Nicolas