[postgis-users] insert interactively asc or text files

Michael Fuhr mike at fuhr.org
Wed Jul 4 01:05:17 PDT 2007

On Wed, Jul 04, 2007 at 12:53:27AM -0700, pere roca wrote:
>   I just was wondering if there is some tool to insert automatically data
> from a .asc or .csv or text file (just X,Y and thematic data) to PostGIS
> (something similar to shp2pgsql.exe).

Are you familiar with COPY (or psql's \copy)?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/sql-copy.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/app-psql.html

>   What I want to do is that after a user inserts a file in our server,
> automatically this file is inserted in someway to PostGIS. How would you do
> it?

How are files being sent to the server?  Can you explain in more
detail how your system works and what you're trying to do?

--
Michael Fuhr