[postgis-users] insert interactively asc or text files

pere roca peroc79 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 00:59:56 PDT 2007

  hi Michael,
  thanks for your references, the problem is that what I want is not to type
anything in console (psql) but to construct an automatic insertion to Db
(when the user uploads a "text" (.csv, .txt file) and send it to my server,
then it runs "something" to insert into a table). Shortly, what I want is to
let users see his point data (species occurences) in my web application;
when session finishes, data should disappear. So, I should construct a
script, maybe using COPY, but how to write such kind of scripts? some PDF,
web references to learn it?

  I was thinking to restrict the data to insert (X,Y and species, genus,
family) and to have a pre-constructed table in PostGIS with these columns. I
suppose it should minimize much more the work and time to insert data and
should also make much easier the scripting.

  Thanks.