[postgis-users] database wide unique ID

Mark Millman mmillman at markmillman.com
Mon Jul 23 08:33:07 PDT 2007

You might try using a GUID

http://www.codeproject.com/netcf/PPCGuidGen.asp#The_GUID_Format

-----Original Message-----
From: postgis-users-bounces at postgis.refractions.net
mlinden at zeelandnet.nl
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2007 7:30 AM
To: postgis-users at postgis.refractions.net
Subject: [postgis-users] database wide unique ID

Hello list!

Thanks to you all I have my first real import ready. Of course this is not
enough for my employer ;-)

For some extra functionality that is needed, we need a database wide
unique ID. This is because our postGIS database will feed another (MSSQL)
database with some sort of key index. In the MSSQL database, no difference
is made between point,line and poly. Therefor my three tables (mypoint,
myline and mypoly) need to have system wide ID's so I can return a
relational table to MSSQL.

Is there anyone that know how to generate a database wide unique ID?

Thanks in advance!

Milo van der Linden