[postgis-users] Convert lines to polygon

Brent Wood pcreso at pcreso.com
Fri Jul 27 15:57:56 PDT 2007

Can anyone help clarify how teh various make polygon functions work?

I have a set of roughly parallel lines (depth contours)

The table also includes lines crossing these contour lines

20m 50m 100m  150m
|   |    |     |
-------------------
| A | B  | C   |
|   |    |     |
-------------------
| D | E  | F   |
|   |    |     |
-----------------
|   |    |     |

I want to take all these lines & build polygons from them, generating vertices
where the lines cross (polygons ABCDEF)

I thought this was what polygonize() did, but having had a brief play with it,
I believe this is not true, instead all it seems to do is turn closed lines
into polygons, & perhaps include holes from closed lines inside other closed
lines.

Is there any way in PostGIS to take a set of intersecting lines as above &
deriving the polygons from them?

Thanks,

  Brent Wood