[postgis-users] Potential use of PostGIS for retrieving nearest neighbor vectors

ranzilca at ieee.org ranzilca at ieee.org
Fri Jun 8 15:25:07 PDT 2007

Hello all,

I am looking for a tool that will allow a postgres db to perform the
following function:

Based on a reference vector/array of continuous values, retrieve the closest
vectors in the database (e.g. in Euclidean distance).

I came across PosGIS, and was wondering id we can use it for this purpose.
Specifically, the function **pgr_raster_to_points** seems like it is
performing some sort of Nearest Neighbor search:

http://postgis.com/support/wiki/index.php?PgRasterSqlInterface

I am not familiar with GIS systems, and we plan to use it for a different
purpose (as explained above), but was hoping we can use the aforementioned
function in this manner.

Thank you in advance for your help!

-- Ran

Ran Zilca