[postgis-users] Shapefile toolkit

Steffen Macke sdteffen at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 13:18:46 PDT 2007

Hi David,

> Is anybody aware of any tools to creat or manipulate shape files?
>
> I have a shape file and I want to add some projection data to it

a little bit off-topic, but here is some information:

Adding projection information to a shapefile can be as simple as copying
a file (*.prj). But it might also be difficult, if you don't have a
"template" containing
your projection information. It will be quite important which software package
you expect to use your shapefile projection data.

OGR comes with a collection of tools that allow some manipulation of shapefiles.

http://www.gdal.org/ogr/

Shapelib comes with a collection of tools that allow some manipulation. If you
want to reproject your shapefile, have a look at the shpproj tool that
is included
in Shapelib.

http://shapelib.maptools.org/

These are commandline tools. If you are looking for graphical interfaces, there
might be other options.

Regards,

Steffen