[postgis-users] How is Centroid(Geometry) calculated?

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Thu Jun 14 04:52:03 PDT 2007

It uses the Geos library to calculate centroid if Geos is installed.  My
cursory glance of the Geos code,  looks to me like for polygons and
multipolygons
 it first takes the area of the region and then finds the average x,y, z
of that encompassing area.

So yes it is conceivable in a multipolygon that the centroid may not
fall in any of the polygons.

Anyone correct me if I am wrong since I'm not too familiar with c++
code.

Anyrate I think the relevant piece of code in geos library is
source\algorithm\CentroidArea.cpp

Hope that helps,
Regina