[postgis-users] Combined Windows version of PostGIS/P-LR

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Tue Jun 19 06:06:28 PDT 2007

Unfortunately I'm not in the PL/R newsgroup yet and I don't have Joe's email address, so can someone pass this message along. I'm updating my  instruction docs accordingly to reflect this issue and still writing up some followup tutorials.

When testing creating the median function as described in the docs using PgAdmin, I would get parse R errors when using it.  After some research (googling - others had the same problem) and refollowing my tracks (since I was able to get it right a couple of times, but not consistently).  I discovered it was the line breaks in the function that was causing the problem.

I had to do this

create or replace function r_median(_float8)
	returns float as 'median(arg1)' language 'plr';

instead of what is mentioned in the docs - this
create or replace function r_median(_float8) returns float as '
  median(arg1)
' language 'plr';

Evidentally R parser chokes when it runs into line breaks.

Hope that helps,
Regina