[postgis-users] Dateline and polar regions and any other spatial gotchas

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Wed Jun 27 09:06:51 PDT 2007

There are definitely issues with dateline and poles when working in
4326, since the coordinates are treated as planar, not polar.
Workarounds for the dateline are relatively easy to do, usually in the
form of double-entry inserts (we should probably write a standard
trigger for doing that (if something crosses the dateline, insert it
twice, once on each side of the plane)).  The poles I think are a harder
problem.

--

   Paul Ramsey
   Refractions Research