[postgis-users] geo-coding question

Lee Keel lee.keel at uai.com
Wed Jun 27 11:30:58 PDT 2007

We are using a customized version of the Ajax AutoComplete control that I
created that calls a webservice to do a query each time you pause for 3/4 of
a second.  This length is a parameter on the control.  It passes the entire
text and a requested limit to the database where we are doing address
parsing and gecoding the results.  Currently the functionality expects to
have city if you enter a state.  Like I said before, we have a little more
work to do.  I also want to be able to enter the address with a zipcode, but
I have got to leave them wanting something. :)  Some of the addresses you
see in the results don't have a city because they didn't have the city for
that road in the Tiger data.

We started at 12 as a round number for displaying and not killing the server
but will probably bump that number up once we get on better servers.  I am
currently working on some javascript code that will be aware of a combobox
to allow the ability to pass in the layer that you want to geocode against
(for example we have a client that wants to geocode to their own parcel and
centerline data before using Tiger).  This code will list the address as
links in a grid and allow the user to pick them as they want.  This listbox
was just the simplest approach since most of the functionality was written
already by Ajax.

I am glad you like it.  I am a big fan of postgres.  Especially since I have
been trying to rewrite this same geocoding functionality in Sql Server 2005.

Thanks,
Lee Keel
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.