[postgis-users] pgsql on a PDA running Microsoft CE

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Mon Mar 12 14:27:21 PDT 2007

Rob Marjot wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I know similar issues have been raised before, but I couldn't find a
> nice (and clear-cut) answer...
>
> I wish to develop an application on a HP iPaq PDA running Windows CE,
>  accessing a Postgres+PostGIS database. What would be the best way
> doing this?

Rob,

AFAIK there is no PostgreSQL client library available for Windows
CE-based systems. Also, you don't have any ODBC support on Windows CE.
So, I believe the best approach is to use PostGIS through Web Services
or direct HTTP requests.
Certainly, you need to develop server-side part on your own.

BTW, in few months, I'm going to give it a try to port libpq to Windows
CE platform. I'm going to *directly* communicate with PostgreSQL from a
device, but as I said, it won't happen very soon.

Cheers
--
Mateusz Loskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net