[postgis-users] GeomUnion problem

Brent Wood pcreso at pcreso.com
Sun May 6 19:57:33 PDT 2007

Hi all,

GEOS v3rc3 seems to have fixed the previous problem, but now I have another
one!
The usual Hydra like situation :-)

geomunion() sometimes returns a multipolygon, & at other times it returns a
polygon, depending I guess, on what it finds when it does it's thing.

Is it possible to force all the output to multipolygon, so both single polygons
& multi's can go in the same column?

Or can I populate two columns, then somehow insert the polygons as multi's into
the multi column?

I could do this by exporting as text, pass the file through awk/sed to turn
polygons into multi's, then insert them into the multi table.

I guess another approach might be a view unioning the two columns into one, as
the are both geometry datatypes as far as postgres is concerned, but this has
other impacts which are not very nice.

Any suggestions/advice appreciated.

Thanks (again!)

   Brent Wood