[postgis-users] Possibility to join PostGIS with non spatialdbstored attribute data

Steven De Vriendt gisaalter at gmail.com
Tue May 8 11:35:12 PDT 2007

Regina,

Thanks for this answer, think you've lost me around the middle of
paragraph two but the first lines of your reply are what I'm after.
I'll explain.

A lot of data we use is stored in a non-spatial Oracle database.
We've introduced GIS in our organisation to 'visualise' the Oracle
database (we know what happens, but  WHERE do this happen ?)
Using a join in ArcGIS we're now able to view the attribute data
stored in Oracle using ArcGIS, based on a unique ID (that's a dossier
number).

I'm trying to do the same in a MapServer-envirnoment. Basically, I
want to visualise PostGIS-polygon data and Oracle attribute data,
based on a join of ID's that are stored in both databases.

The purpose is not focused on the PostGIS spatial functions, my main
interest is to be able to visualise both PostGIS (spatial) and Oracle
(attribute) data in MapServer.

Thanks for helping me out !

Regards
Steven