[postgis-users] PostGIS 2.0 Wishlist

Greg Williamson Gregory.Williamson at digitalglobe.com
Tue May 8 18:14:28 PDT 2007

Brent Wood wrote:
> --- Paul Ramsey <pramsey at refractions.net> wrote:
>

>> It's something we hope for funding for, but absent that will probably be
>> low down the priority list, since it is a relatively rare use case.
>> Adding more geodetic functions (area, buffer, distance) seems like a
>> higher priority than handing the geodetic singularity points.

> Heavy sigh!!
>
> It might be rare for some, but 2 out of three datasets I use are a problem due
> to this issue.
>
> Various lists seem to have this problem pop up regularly, noteably around
> Alaska & New Zealand for some reason :-)
>
> At least PostGIS has better tools than most to work around it.
>
> GMT seems to do it best, it may be worth looking at how they deal with this &
> re-use their code/approach?
>

> Cheers,
>
>   Brent Wood

Likewise here -- we have some work-arounds, but that's exactly what they
are. Dateline issues mainly -- but I know I've seen issues with polar
regions as well. OTH our engineers haven't conjured up suggestions for
functions that haven't already been made, and none of those seem to be a
high priority. (Is there geld for this work is another question ... our
new corporate owners have more need for dateline / polar areas than did
our core business at GlobeXplorer, which was more US/Euro-centric (but
there are US possessions and parts of Alaska that do cross the dateline)
but I also have no idea if they are open to funding OS. I can always ask
I guess, if there's enough other interest.

Greg Williamson
Senior DBA
GlobeXplorer, a DigitalGlobe company