[postgis-users] Potential errors in JDBC documentation

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Mon May 14 07:40:04 PDT 2007

I just noticed a couple of minor things in the jdbc documentation in the
postgis manual.  I'm a bit rusty on my java programming so I will just
pose these as possible errors.

http://postgis.refractions.net/docs/ch04.html#id3032239
------------------------------------
Potential issue/error
ResultSet r = s.executeQuery("select
      AsText(geom) as geom,id from geomtable"); while( r.next() ) { /* *
      Retrieve the geometry as an object then cast it to the geometry
type. *
      Print things out. */ PGgeometry geom = (PGgeometry)r.getObject(1);
----
Wouldn't it have been more efficient to just not bother casting this as
text before you pull it and does the above really work?
Shouldn't it be.
ResultSet r = s.executeQuery("select
      geom,id from geomtable"); while( r.next() ) { /* *
      Retrieve the geometry as an object then cast it to the geometry
type. *
      Print things out. */ PGgeometry geom = (PGgeometry)r.getObject(1);
rather than first converting it to text and then converting back to an
object?
---
Potential issue/error 2
PGgeometry geom = (PGgeometry)r.getObject(1); if(
      geom.getType() = Geometry.POLYGON ) { Polygon pl =
      (Polygon)geom.getGeometry(); for( int r = 0; r < pl.numRings();
r++
      ) { LinearRing rng = pl.getRing(r); System.out.println("Ring: "
      + r); for( int p = 0; p < rng.numPoints(); p++ ) { Point pt =
      rng.getPoint(p); System.out.println("Point: " + p);
      System.out.println(pt.toString()); } } }

--

Shouldn't that be ==