[postgis-users] use of the affine() function

Matthew Perry perrygeo at gmail.com
Mon May 28 17:52:56 PDT 2007

Dylan,

On 5/28/07, Dylan Beaudette <dylan.beaudette at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a problematic TIGER  module - i.e. a single county in Ca is really
> messed up. I thought that a simple translate() would do the job, but it looks
> like there is both a translation and rotation involved. I do not really
> understand the postgis manual entry for the affine function.
>
> How would one go about converting a series of coordinate pairs ([good], [bad])
> into the terms of the affine transform matrix?

I've never tried this in postgis, but JUMP has a good affine warping
tool (GUI) that I've used for smaller datasets. Might be worth a shot.

--
Matthew T. Perry
http://www.perrygeo.net

"You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes
the existing model obsolete" - R. Buckminster Fuller