[postgis-users] Open Source GIS System

Matthew Pulis mpulis at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 10:06:55 PST 2007

Hi,

I am preparing to build up a GIS system as part of my University Masters
Thesis. My final aim is to build a system where the user inputs (or via GPS)
inputs the location where he is and the location where he want to go
and gets the route planned. My main concern will be that the driver
can decide which route to take, if the shortest
distance, least time consuming or else least fuel consumption. Also the
route planned has to be aware of certain problems that the network can find,
for example road blocks, or some other type of incidents / accidents. May I
point out that I need to use only Open Source Software.

I am think to use this algorithm to work with :
1. User inputs starting and ending
2. A script checks the options sent by the user
3. The streets which are "blocked" by something are mentioned as inactive
4. A route is planned
5. The route is sent as an image to user
6. Wait 20 seconds
7. If start = end goto 10 Else :
8. Reread position (maybe using GPS.. or random new coordinates from the
map)
10. Send a msg : Thanks for driving safely or some other msg :)

Now, from the research I have done, it seems I need these Open Source
software, and this is what I got the presumption they will suffice for :

PostgreSQL + PostGIS : Basically where to store the data
GRASS : For data Management
QGis (with GRASS extension) : Frontend for viewing the data
pgRouting : To create the route
OpenLayers : To create the image to be sent to the user's browser. I want a
static image which then will be updated every lets say 20 seconds.
PHP : To write the scripts to communicate with the PostGIS / User + HTML 4.0

What do you think about my setup please? Is there some software you think I
should replace or rethink about using? Following my algorithm and the
software I am looking at, I think that I need to do like this :
a. A script in PHP which captures the data and then echo the image using
OpenLayers to the user's browser
b. QGIS (with the save file of the base-map and the roads marked) which
allows the Road Network Admin
to disable any Road, and another PHP Script that can read the
starting, ending coordinates of the road and allow a User to report
that there are problems in the road.

Any comments / suggestions / change of plans would be extremely appreciated
at this stage,

Whilst thanking all of you for taking time to read this post, I really wish
to hear your opinions.

Thanks and Regards

Matthew
--